How Do I Schedule a Wedding Date at Hope Ankeny?
Due to the high volume of requests, we schedule weddings at Hope for those who are church members, or those who have made Hope their church home through regular attendance at worship or other ministry events. Weddings are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. We offer two spaces for weddings at Hope Ankeny, Reservoir: Friday evenings and Saturday at and/or before 3:30 pm; and the Worship Center: Friday evenings and Saturday at and/or before 11:00 am.
To begin the process, contact Heather Goeders, wedding director. After reviewing the policies and fees, she will work with you to reserve dates and times for the wedding and rehearsal. Please note the following:
- Weddings are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- A wedding date must be confirmed within two weeks of getting the date by sending the non-refundable deposit and the signed covenant. The covenant is a confirmation that you agree to the policies in this manual. It will be sent to you when a date and time are settled.
What Are the Costs Associated with Having a Wedding at Hope Ankeny?
The wedding director will work with you on the exact fees you will owe. The fees you owe will be due two weeks prior to your wedding. Payment should be sent to the wedding director at the church, payable to Lutheran Church of Hope.
Full wedding in the Lutheran Church of Hope Ankeny
Basic fee through December 2023: $250
Pastor honorarium: The amount of your choice
The basic fee includes:
- Facility use (one hour for the rehearsal and four hours for the wedding).
- The assistance of the wedding director to coordinate date, times, officiants and wedding assistant(s), as well as planning the ceremony.
- Wedding coordinator to assist you the week of the wedding finalizing plans, to lead the rehearsal and walk alongside you and the wedding party during the day of the ceremony.
- Production team assistance with sound during the ceremony.
The optional fees include:
- Pianist for your wedding and rehearsal: $150
- Sound technician at rehearsal: $25
A non-refundable deposit is due when the wedding date is set, and the balance is due two weeks before the wedding.
Frequently Asked Questions
Reservoir: Friday evenings and Saturday at/or before 3:30 pm
Worship Center: Friday evenings and Saturday at/or before 11:00am
All rehearsals are held the night before the ceremony at 5:30 pm. It is important for the entire wedding party to attend. Your wedding assistant(s) will coordinate this event.
Couples are welcome to use our altar cloth, candle holders, unity candle holders and guest book tablecloth. You are more than welcome to bring in any freestanding decorations.
A Hope pastor, chaplain or ministry director will be assigned to officiate your wedding. Officiants are assigned weddings based on availability. If you have a preference, please state that at the time you meet with the wedding director.
- The officiants will do their best to accommodate requests, however, the final decision will be based on their schedules and availability.
- Typically, the officiant will not be able to attend your rehearsal dinner or wedding reception due to their weekend commitments at worship.
- Guest pastors are permitted. It is acceptable for a family member or friend who is a Christian pastor and is licensed to perform weddings in Iowa to preside at your wedding. Please let the wedding director know how to make the required arrangements.
Music is a very important part of the wedding ceremony. Lutheran Church of Hope is God’s house and for that reason, all music selected should be appropriate for a Christian worship service. The mission and values of Hope are to reflect the life and ministry of Christ. Music that does not present a Christ-centered message will not be permitted, and you will be asked to consider those pieces for other parts of your day.
There are some questions to be asked about the music. If the answer is “yes,” then the music is likely appropriate.
- Does this music/text reflect praise and/or thanksgiving to God?
- Is it based on, or does it reflect, a scriptural theme?
- Is this song in the form of a prayer?
It is helpful to have a program at your wedding. Below you will find an example of the general order of service to help you create your unique program. The officiant may individualize the service and will discuss these changes with you when you meet approximately one month before your wedding.
Please provide a copy of the program text to the wedding director before it is printed. Below is a typical order of service—couples will go over the order with the officiant.
Prelude-Special Music/Solo (optional)
Greeting and Prayer
Special Music/Solo (optional)
Special Music/Solo (optional)
Giving of Rings
Unity Candle (optional)
Special Music/Solo (optional)
Marriage Blessing and Prayer
Lord’s Prayer (spoken or as special music)
Your wedding is a Lutheran Church of Hope Ankeny worship service. Participants and guests should conduct themselves accordingly.
It is likely that other activities will occur in the church on your wedding day. The wedding director will work with the other ministries to make sure everyone is aware that a wedding is taking place. Hope is not able to store your wedding dress or decorations. You will also need to take all decorations and personal items with you immediately after the wedding.
It is a good idea to bring food and non-alcoholic beverages for the wedding party while getting ready and during the pre-wedding activities. However, all food, clothing, purses, etc. Must be removed from the wedding room before the wedding party walks to the aisle. It is the responsibility of the wedding party to arrange for the care of their property before, during and after the ceremony. The church is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
If gifts are brought to the church, the church assumes no responsibility for them.
What about alcohol or smoking?
Alcohol is not permitted in any part of the church or in the parking lot. Lutheran Church of Hope is a smoke-free environment. Hope asks that you review the policy with your wedding party and families. To clarify, Hope requests that:
- You and your wedding party refrain from alcohol use prior to arriving for the rehearsal and the wedding.
- You and your wedding party refrain from alcohol and tobacco use before or after the rehearsal and wedding in both the church and parking lots.
The pastors reserve the right to refuse to perform the marriages of couples who do not comply with this policy.
Ready to Take the Next Steps?
Once you have read through this manual and are ready to start the process, contact Heather Goeders, wedding director, at 515-222-1520 with date requests. Once the date is set a wedding packet will be sent to you.